- January 21, 2015 at 11:40 #3019
In the spirit of daftness/adventure on which this club is founded, I would like to prpose a series of daft challenges. (There’s been a bit of this recently)
The idea being that there’d be a list of arbitrary challenges that people could have a go at and we could have some kind of official record of who’s done what and when… fell free to add your own suggestions
Ideas (in vague order of difficulty):
The Donard Adventures
- a series of strange ascents of Donard, those done so far include “in a suit on the hottest day of the summer” and “Barefoot while confusing an American Man”
- a list of fastest time for carpark to carpark.
The Annalong Valley Challenge
- Climb a route on Douglas Crag, Binnian, Blue Lough Buttress, Buzzard’s Roost, Percy Bysshe, Lamagan Slabs, Lower Cove, Upper Cove, Slieve Beg, Commedagh Castles, Annalong Buttress and Hare’s Castle in a single day
The Mourne Wall
- Complete a circuit of the Mourne Wall in a day (you’re allowed to skip the nasty river crossing between Long Seefin and Carrick Little)
Classic Mournes Chimneys
- Climb all the classic Mournes chimneys in a day
- Not sure what they all are but definitely include The Sheugh (Buzzard’s Roost), Raven Route (Eagle Rocks), 3rd Corner (Lower Cove), Summit Sheugh (Bearnagh), Crooked Chimney, Spellack Chimney, plus i’m sure one or two more
The Mourne 500s
The Dennis Rankin Round
The Prow E1s
- Climb all the prow E1s in a day.
The Fair Head E2s
- No-one has done this yet. Climb all the 3-star Fair Head E2s in a day. Hard.
All excellent Alpine/expedition training
any further suggestions?January 21, 2015 at 11:54 #3024
I would gladly come up with weight related challenges for anyone who wants to get stronger-erJanuary 21, 2015 at 11:57 #3025
Weight related challenges… as in carry x kg up x mountain?January 21, 2015 at 12:00 #3026
Squat body weight for 20 reps without putting the bar down
50 chin ups with x% of body weight added
That kind of thing. Increase your load bearing capacity!January 21, 2015 at 12:02 #3027
Whilst excellent training, no doubt, those aren’t mountaineeringy challenges, boyoJanuary 21, 2015 at 12:05 #3028
Well in that case, 50% of body weight in rucksack, walk up a big hill for repsJanuary 21, 2015 at 12:06 #3029
McCloy carried a breezeblock up Errigal, so there’s that one covered.
But still don’t think you’re getting the idea of this…January 21, 2015 at 12:09 #3030
I would never play ignorant for the fun of it, that’s for sure…
All of these things are outside, can we not have some in the PEC?January 21, 2015 at 12:11 #3031
Of course. Climb all the features routes in 24hrs for example… Cadden was working on that.January 21, 2015 at 12:55 #3032nbrowneModerator
Crooked Chimney? Gotta fall out of something…January 21, 2015 at 12:58 #3033ConorParticipant
Sadly, as panel 4 has now been climbed its a bit harder than it was when I first tried it.
I propose “The Donard Adventures” a series of strange ascents of Donard, those done so far include “in a suit on the hottest day of the summer” and “Barefoot while confusing an American Man”, and of course a list of fastest time for carpark to carpark.January 21, 2015 at 13:35 #3035
Yes. Excellent. I sense an AGM award for most novel ascent of Donard.January 21, 2015 at 13:38 #3038
Conor, care to ascend Donard on my shoulders?January 21, 2015 at 13:57 #3039ConorParticipant
yesJanuary 21, 2015 at 13:57 #3040nbrowneModerator
Are the fairhead ones team effort? or individual?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.